GIS Day will be held on Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at the Air Command Mobility Museum in Dover. GIS Day, an International Event, falls on Wednesday of Geography Awareness Week.
Registration for 5th grades class will open and be available on this page September 20, 2018. In the past, registration has been based on a first come first serve system and has become highly competitive. In an effort to give equal opportunity to all children in the state, we are adjusting to a rubric based selection criteria.
The GIS day Committee will meet to discuss and use the following criteria/goals to make final selections.
The Committee will strive to reach the greatest geographic area of the state by selecting students from all 3 counties if possible. The Committee will consider the number of students being registered and try to accept the largest number of groups that can safely be served in the space in compliance with fire marshal code and available volunteers to escort student groups.
On September 27, 2018 the GIS Day chair will notify you if you have been selected or not; thank you for your interest in GIS Day! We have an exciting day planned for your students! View our story map below by scrolling through to learn more!
Meet the Delaware GIS Day Organizing Committee
- Darin Dell, not shown in photo – DTI
- Michael Hanna – Tidewater Utilities
- Kymberllie Kelly – DTCC, Stanton Campus
- Danielle Lambourn – Kent County Government
- Nicole Minni, Chair – University of Delaware’s, Institute for Public Administration, Water Resources Center
- Megan Nehrbas – Sussex County Government
- Miriam Pomilio – Office of State Planning Coordination
- Debbie Sullivan – DTI
- Art Walker – USDA
The GIS Day Committee is a subcommittee of the Delaware Geographic Data Committee (DGDC).
Watch our GIS Day Sponsor Video to learn more!
Thank you to our 2018 GIS Day Sponsors listed below! Please contact Miriam Pomilio Miriam.Pomilio@state.de.us to sponsor our 2018 GIS Day event! Your sponsorship funds the Earth Balloon, breakfast and lunch for our dedicated volunteers and station chiefs, and additional needed supplies.
- Air Mobility Command Museum – sponsoring venue
- Delasoft – PLATINUM level sponsor
- Surdex – SILVER Level Sponsor
- Tidewater Utilities – BRONZE Level Sponsor
- University of Delaware Geography Department – SILVER Level Sponsor
- University of Delaware Water Resources Center – BRONZE Level Sponsor
For more information on past years’ GIS Day success, please visit our links below.
To make GISDay everyday in your classroom, visit these links to get started.
- GeoInquiries – set to Common Core Standards
- Ignite your GIS Day fun with these great resources for all ages!
- Ready to use 15 minute lessons for k-12 – http://www.esri.com/connected
- Esri Intructional Documents, lessons, videos and more
- Visit this GIS wiki space to see how GIS fits into Common Core