Have fun viewing photos of the event: Delaware 2013 GIS Day Photos
The 6th annual GIS Day fieldtrip took place on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at the Air Mobility Command Museum in Dover, Delaware.
GIS Day is an international event held on Wednesday of National Geography Awareness Week. GIS Day started in 1987, as part of the National Geographic’s Geography Week, as a way to expose society to the tools and opportunities of GIS. The Delaware Geographic Data Committee is a cooperative effort among all levels of government, the academic sector, and the private sector, to build a Delaware GIS Community and improve the coordination of the use of GIS tools and spatial data in Delaware, so for several years the State of Delaware has participated in celebrating GIS Day.
For the sixth year, the Delaware GIS Day Event Committee offered to selected 5th grade students a field trip to the Air Command Mobility Museum in Dover. The event was designed to support Delaware curriculum requirements for fifth-grade students who are learning about geography, cartography and the world around us.
- GIS Scavenger Hunt
- Delasoft Billboards
- Learning Delaware Soils
- Compass vs GPS
- DGA – Student Scientists Share Data
- DGA – GIS Explorers Follow the Clues
- Tracing different layers over aerial photography
- Museum Tour
- A chance to go up into the control tower
- A fun memory game listening the the State Caps Rap and testing your skills afterwards to see how many capitals you can place correctly within the 50 states.
- Kent County’s Mobile Command Unit
- Flight simulation – which uses digital mapping to teach new pilots
- Entering into the world itself, a 20-foot diameter Earth Balloon to learn something special about each continent
- Map Jeopardy
- Watersheds and GIS
- Computer Lab – A hands on GIS Lesson to discover which mystery animal was going to be placed in a zoo
For more information on past years’ GIS Day success, please visit here.
- The GIS Day Committee is a subcommittee of the Delaware Geographic Data Committee (DGDC).
- Many thanks to all our volunteers in helping make GIS Day 2013 a success. We look forward in seeing you again this year!
- Thank you so much to our sponsors; we could not host this event without your support!
- A special thank you to Esri and the Delaware Electric Cooperative for providing the teachers some fun items to take back to their classroom!