Have fun viewing photos of the event on Flicker here!
The 5th annual GIS Day fieldtrip took place on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at the Air Mobility Command Museum in Dover, Delaware.
GIS Day is an international event held on Wednesday of National Geography Awareness Week.
GIS Day started in 1987, as part of the National Geographic’s Geography Week, as a way to expose society to the tools and opportunities of GIS. The Delaware Geographic Data Committee is a cooperative effort among all levels of government, the academic sector, and the private sector, to build a Delaware GIS Community and improve the coordination of the use of GIS tools and spatial data in Delaware, so for several years the State of Delaware has participated in celebrating GIS Day.
For the fifth year, the Delaware GIS Day Event Committee offered to selected 5th grade students a field trip to the Air Command Mobility Museum in Dover. The event was designed to support Delaware curriculum requirements for fifth-grade students who are learning about geography, cartography and the world around us.
- GIS Scavenger Hunt
- Delasoft RoadVideo Drive
- Compass vs GPS
- Where are you wearing? by the Delaware Geographic Alliance
- Tracing different layers over aerial photography
- City of Dover – Fire Marshall
- City of Dover – What is GIS?
- Museum Tour
- A chance to go up into the control tower
- A fun memory game listening the the State Caps Rap and testing your skills afterwards to see how many capitals you can place correctly within the 50 states.
- Kent County’s Mobile Command Unit
- Mapping Connections by the Delaware Geographic Alliance
- Flight simulation – which uses digital mapping to teach new pilots
- Entering into the world itself, a 20-foot diameter Earth Balloon to learn something special about each continent
- Map Jeopardy
- A hands on chance using a weTable and GIS to discover which mystery animal was going to be placed in a zoo
For more information on past years’ GIS Day success, please visit here.
A special thank you to Esri for providing the teachers some fun items to take back to their classroom!
Thank you so much to our sponsors; we couldn’t host this event without your support!